Header Ads

Ex Ugandan minister destroys boreholes he built after he lost an election.

Patrick Okumu-Ringa, who lost in the just concluded Nebbi Municipality Parliamentary election in Uganda, has destroyed ten boreholes he built that have been supplying water to residents for the past twenty years, The minister accused the residents of abusing his generosity by not supporting his bid for Member of parliament. The damaging of boreholes started  on Monday and was concluded on Wednesday, three days after the election results were announced.




For close to ten years, the Ex-Minister Okumu-Riga was Padyere County MP, but lost the seat in 2006. Since then, he has tried to return to the parliament. During his party(NRM)s' primary, he lost to his opponent, Suleiman Hashim. He, however, chose to run as independent, claiming he lost as a result of rigging. 




In the recent election, Okumu-Ringa came third after he got 1,270 votes out of 9,940 total vote cast. He again lost to Hashim, who scored 4,283 votes.
He confirmed to Ugandan press, Sunday vision that he indeed damaged the boreholes, he also said that he does not regret his actions. However he later said he would reconcile with the residents and fix the boreholes.

He said;
"I am hurt, but I will reconcile with them. However, for now, let them look for water elsewhere. Our people are not appreciative, All I wanted from them was voted. I have educated so many children, but all they tell me is I have done nothing."
He was asked if he was hurting the government he once served, He said;
"I don't think the government should be offended, they should instead pay me for supplying free water to citizens. I used my money to sink the boreholes, and in any case, even National water and sewage Corporation doesn't supply free water."
He said he used his money to sink the boreholes.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.